Sunday, September 2, 2007

"I am the Lord Of Darkness..."



So Ridley Scott has proclaimed film sci-fi to be dead.

I think he might be right. I'd yell "Starship Troopers" but that was a decade ago. "The Matrix" passes with a stong B, but that was 8 years ago now. "Serenity" is alright, but it's not pushing any genre territory. Maybe "The Fountain." Maybe. I've heard "Primer" is good, but I've not seen it.

If I were part of a thriving filmmaking community, I think I would want to take this as a call to arms, a challenge, to prove to Sir "Black Rain" Scott, that films can still jet us into speculative fiction territory that is new and fresh.

But I'm not. So instead I'll just sit over here and stew about it.

In other news...

Also, tomorrow is Labor Day, the holiday named after our comic.

What will we do to celebrate, I wonder?