Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Behind the Scenes Conversations


Much of the work of Labor Days is done over instant messenger. It's what allows me to work without my pants on and what allows Rick to hide the fact that he's constantly drawing Hermione Granger without her pants on.

Below is a little sample of some IM text for you to nibble upon. It pertains to the details of two of our characters, Leon and Antonio, dedicated revolutionists.


RICK:
If anyone asks, the Marxists drive around
in a big, black 1971 Cadilac Sedan de Ville
which used to belong to the King of Rock
and Roll.

ME:
Elvis?

RICK:
Hell yeah!

ME:
That makes no damn sense. But okay.

RICK:
Right?

NARRATOR:
Moments later…

ME:
I can't wait to do panel-by-panel commentary on
this book. I'll say things like "the Marxists
should be driving a tiny east bloc hold over
from Soviet Poland. Like a Trabant or something."
And you'll say things like "Yeah but look at
this savage Fukk Mobile I have them in!"

RICK:
Ha!

ME:
"…it fits their souls, not their politics,"
you'll add. And then I'll have to agree
with much sadness.



... And yes, our IM-versations do have narrators, thanks for asking.